2.28.2010

The State of the Educational System Today.

I have recently received the notice as to my rejection from the Scotland study abroad program offered through my school.

My anger is infinite. My anger is the volcano which burns the forests. My anger is the lightning which splits stone, and the stone that carries the mountain with it as it falls. My anger is the force of a gun, strained into thought. My anger is the surging sea.

But in all fairness, I don't care very much. It's what I've expected. I'll be honest, my gpa is far from exemplary. Good, but far from exemplary. But it's why my gpa is low that this whole thing kind of makes me angry. You see, my gpa is low, not because I'm too stupid to perform otherwise, but because I don't have any care to. I've long since learned that grades are essentially meaningless. Certainly, they are a crudely effective indicator, but as I see it they should never be treated as anything else.

The methods available to the current society to test the intelligence of an individual are all woefully lacking. The idea of writing a paper is essentially the idea of turning in a subjective work to be subjectively judged. You can never be sure if you're going to get a good grade on the paper, no matter how well you write, because you can never be sure what the teacher is looking for. Tests, on the other hand, are also crude. They encourage the taker to cram knowledge that will promptly be forgotten, and focus on specific topics that generally represent only a fraction of the real knowledge involved in the subject.

In order to illustrate the difficulties, let me give you an example. A teacher decides to give his students a test. He tells them ahead of time, as many teacher do, what kind of topics he considers important, and thus what material the test will cover. Three students go home and study.

One student gets an excellent grade. But then, he spent exorbitant amounts of time memorizing principles by rote, and he has no understanding of these principles or ability to connect the dots. He is an idiot.

One student gets a terrible grade. He is very intelligent, and spent his time studying the material. Unfortunately, he was not made aware of which specific portions of the test he was supposed to study, and as such gets every question wrong, regardless of the fact that he knows every other aspect of the subject well.

One student gets an okay grade, because he properly crammed for the test. He promptly forgets this material, and when he graduates with his degree, he will know very little of what he actually studied. He is also an idiot.

Do you see the inefficacy of the concept of measuring knowledge in our society today? We have bound an abstract concept, intelligence, up into a series of letters grades, tests, and papers, which are really not a fair judge of intelligence. This isn't even taking into account that intelligence appears less to be rote memorization, and more the ability to memorize more quickly and more efficiently than others. Even apes can be taught sign language. Even idiots can be taught physics. The difference between the idiot and the genius, is that the genius understands this, and while our tests do make an effort at judging this understanding, it is far too easy to slip past the system without understanding that education in general is suffering.

On top of this is the fact that education in general has been highly cheapened. Once, men went to college to learn, and only the most serious of scholars, the people endowed with the most willingness to learn, ever went. They went by free choice, and they learned because they wanted to. Nowadays, society is increasingly structuring itself to the point where men and women need a college degree simply to be ordinary, simply to catch up with the basic level of living. The side effects of this are obvious. Now, students spend their weekends partying hard enough to kill any grain of knowledge or gain in critical thinking skills that they built up during the week, and look upon their studies not as a joyous upward mobility of the intellect, but rather a dreary and tiresome job, a task to be completed and resolved as quickly as possible.

Since my years in high school, I have kept the love of knowledge and intellect closer to my heart than anyone I have yet known. I am constantly now either sharpening my intellect or resting it for the next day's labor. I am prudent in my vices and voracious in my attempts to learn and build anew. I understand that grades mean little, and that they never have. It is true that many geniuses have had problems in traditional school. I make no claim to be ranked among them, for I am a foolish teenager. But I can understand their pain, because schools are increasingly geared, not to teach, but to give the appearance of teaching. Those that suffer are those that wish to learn.

In my pursuit of true knowledge over falsity, I have naturally ignored my grades. I churn out cheap papers to give the appearance of acquiescence, and then spend the time saved reading, thinking, writing, processing, creating anew. I spend the excess time learning. Perhaps it is not in the fields in which they want me to learn. But who cares about what they want me to learn? I only care to learn at any cost. Behind the efforts of my homework, and my social life and necessary relaxations, I spend my time reading philosophy (of which I have recently taken an interest in eastern philosophy, with quite wonderful results), and working on my novel.

This being said, if there was anyone more fit to make it into a competitive program based on their worth and will to learn, it would be myself. I try to be a humble man, though I fall short in this on many accounts, but there is one thing that I flaunt, as I have flaunted since I was a child. I am smart. I am fucking intelligent. I am perhaps one of the smartest students in this school. As a child, I was mocked for my intelligence, a mockery that I have since learned to ignore. I make no apology for my mind.

And it seems to me, that my mind is exactly what should be getting me into this program. Many aspects of my application were excellent. There was only one place in which it lacked, and this was my gpa. Should I be penalized for deciding that writing a novel is more important than writing a flimsy essay on some topic for which I have no care for or aptitude with? Should I be penalized for realizing that there is more to the world than an arbitrary letter? Yes, apparently.

I'm not going to say that no one who got into that program deserved it. Two of my close friends made it into the program, and I can assure you that they deserved it. But many of the other people in my graduating class? Of this I cannot be sure. What I can be sure of, is that if you lined them up in front of me, there will be at least one idiot with good grades who is less deserving of the honor than I.

7 comments:

Gregory said...

did you know your blog now has a parental advisory on it? hah!

anyway, don't worry too much about not being able to go to scotland. it's quite easy to move around from country to country so you'll get your chance if you want it.

Shoddy Socrates said...

Dear Sir,
My response is the hawk to your ignorant sparrow, the bear to your warped beehive. I have come across your blog before and never been so moved, through your virginal and stumbling blunders, to recognize one with a retort. But this, dear sir, is a bridge too far. When you puffed your chest and disparaged your girlfriend I stayed silent, but when you display a worldview so crudely and self centered as this I must intervene. I will now respond on a paragraph-by-paragraph basis.

First, your tawdry declaration of anger and too cool rescinding of the sentiment is too ridiculous to pass up. If you truly wish to seem too cool to care don’t spend several pages vilifying and throwing vitriol upon your vanquishers. “The stone which carries the mountain with it,” as if anyone who has spent time writing would utter such two-cent flops. The petulant denial of your next sentence renders this whole section a futile spectacle of a whiny schoolboy.

Allow my to elaborate on why your GPA is too low: you don’t know what intelligent is. Restrain yourself sir, even now, hours or days in the past I can feel your infinitely volcanic fury. I don’t wish merely that though, that would necessitate further missives on your errors. No, I write this in the sincere hope that the impressive walls of denial with which you have surrounded yourself may someday fall, and leave you a more bearable blogger.

You rail against those who have surpassed you by society’s standard, declare your GPA unimportant to you, and all the while moan about not being accepted into Scotland. If you are such a genius, why is it not apparent to you that the only way to gain entry into a program grounded in academic expectations is to do something outstanding in the academic field. Your analysis falls short in many fields so this may sting and take a while. My apologies for that.

To begin, allow me to explain what intelligence is, seeing that you are woefully misinformed upon that point. Intelligence is not simply what you feel you are good at. Intelligence is a demonstrable (emphasis on that word) ability in virtually any field. Those who can analyze and rapidly come to conclusions in the hard sciences, conceive of radically new political and philosophical ideas, and handle a wide and difficult number of tasks concurrently are all intelligent. It goes beyond that though. Intelligence in a general usage is true ability in any field based on rumination and cogitation. By ignoring the plethora of forms I refer to it is very obvious why you find yourself to be one of the most brilliant and unacknowledged minds on our fair campus, a claim which from my position is sadly uninformed. Where you see yourself single flower of intelligence in an empty lot, I see you as one within a garden of intelligent minds. You do not see beyond your genus, a failing which gives you a false feeling of superiority. This is your false assumption of your singular genius, and I hope my charge provokes some pause within you.

Now it seems I must explain why general education isn’t a perfect system. I agree that this is true, that the problems of standardized testing are manifest and plural. The fact that you do poorly on tests does not however mean that the entire system is a failure. The system is designed to measure (effectively, if not intentionally) two things: effort and/or ability. Let us examine your thought exercise and the logic holes throughout. We begin with the teacher delivering the fair and necessary amount of information. All students have access to this, meaning that they all have a fair chance. Fine and fair enough.

Shoddy Socrates said...

Student number one you call and idiot. But if he is dedicated to learning and actually commits himself to it, where is his stupidity? It is not his choice that he fails to understand the meaning behind the functions (and, by the way, there are few so dedicated who do so fail, dedication being the better part of intellect), it is rather his limitations and not his ambitions, which constrain him. I would say that he is behaving highly intelligently, he is no true idiot for seeking knowledge and failing. Now let us compare him to you. You, apparently, disdain this man and this test. And yet you are less than the one you call idiot, because he will reap a reward earned by hard effort while you drop below him, losing out on the study abroad program you covet because you can’t be bothered to learn something an idiot can.

Now the curious case of your second student. I think even you must have seen the hollowness of your claim when writing this. If the student is intelligent he should be capable of asking the teacher what precisely is on the test, given that the two “idiots” managed to do so. If, additionally, he then studies the entirety of the subject he should be well prepared for any and all tests I know of. Your intelligent student is a stupid mirage, papering over your hole-coated parable.

Your third student is the prototypical problem with the education system. I have a different theory on this point however. The student is being stupid in his failing to learn what is being taught (though you also are culpable of that failing it would seem), but he is learning something, the wrong something. This student is learning how to use the system to his maximum advantage, and if you wish to take part the least you could learn is to be on par with this idiot.

Testing, as I said before, distinguishes two students: the intelligent and the diligent. Unfortunately for you it seems you cannot skate by effortlessly at the top of your class by virtue of your intellect, nor do you put forward the effort necessary to bring attention to yourself. Instead you build your walls slightly higher with self-justifying explanations of useless knowledge and true knowledge. Don’t waste your time or the schools if you truly don’t care for the 40,000-dollar a year education you ignore so petulantly.

You also do not understand the purpose of testing. It is not a measurement of knowledge, it’s a test of determination or failing that hard work. You lack both and drift along the comfortable 3.0 river. And by the way, for someone who I assume to be in English or philosophy, what the hell are you talking about? Those fields have virtually no form of testing like the ones you describe, relying far more on essay based thinking projects. It seems to me that you dodge your own failings by attacking problems in an education field far different from the one you are in. Or are you a straight A student in the fields you profess interest and ability in, and take classes in the rote memorization field to frustrate yourself?
If you are paying lip service rather than learning what is taught and you disdain our social conception of intelligence, why do you waste your parents money here anyways? If you wish to learn alone it would have been better not to come to college at all, given that tests and “false” learning are a mere hindrance to your allegedly superhuman prowess.

Shoddy Socrates said...

I fear your view of the past is sadly utopian. Yes, education has changed over the years and yes, the poor people are allowed to read now but it was never a pure pursuit. Men were educated then as now for statecraft, business, and ordering peasants. What has truly changed is we have learned that there is so much more that can be taught, and have a society equitable and wealthy enough to teach it. You may rail against the masses from your precarious perch but do not believe that education has cheapened because it has moved beyond the circles of the entitled and arrogant. The intelligent man has been a minority in education since the Greeks, it’s simply that you didn’t live then and we didn’t write what the stupid students thought. Abandon your illusions sir, they bring you only grief.

It is true that many geniuses have trouble in school, the same is true of idiots. Ponder that for a moment. For the record, creating anew is good but improving your work would stand you better. The paragraphs starting with “since my years in high school” and ending in “working on my novel” are sophist works of onanism, though the final phrase should make that apparent.

I have complete faith that your claim to being the most fit for the program is true, but I wish to remind you of this: to the rest of the world you will appear worthless and flippant until you demonstrate your abilities. Come on genius boy, buy in to the shallow education system and earn an A now and then. Or better yet, get your writing in to some sort of published journal. Make a few noticeable imprints on the earth, or else all your claims to genius are empty. The others beat you because while you were basking in your own glory they were exerting the modicum of effort necessary to show they cared about something besides the happenings within their own little words. Fucking intelligent? Than why couldn’t you figure out how to beat the idiots. And yes, you should be penalized for not realizing the effort expended on your application essay would influence whether you were accepted or not. Learn a lesson for once, please.

On a penultimate note, you were not mocked for your intelligence in school. Once again, the intelligent kids had figured out how to blend or escape. You were merely socially inept and not clever enough to elude your tormentors.

Honor is earned. What tangible contribution of yours has earned it?

I could write more, but I have spent all the time I care to in rebutting your ridiculous whinging.

Cordially yours,
A shoddy Socrates

Anonymous said...

Dear "Feral Angel" (an appellation which visibly yearns to be found a more fitting home at myspace, or perhaps xanga),
This blog fails to interest, stimulate, or provoke me in any way. However, if complete hearsay serves me well, congratulations to your much-maligned girlfriend for her acceptance to the program which found you so lacking.

Dear Socrates,
Marry me.

Adam said...

Dear Socrates,
you cannot marry this anonymous lout.
You have verily overturned all of my shoddy and unintelligent arguments, and in the process proven the girth of your own, massive intelligence.
I must have you for my own.
Will you marry me, instead?

AGirlAdamHookedUpWithOnce said...

Don't do it, Socrates. He's a terrible kisser.