11.07.2008

The form of our government.

As it turns out, Obama has won the recent U.S. election, and has done so by a landslide. I predicted it, strange as it may sound. Nearly a year and a half ago, long before the candidates had been finalized for each party, and all those democrats and republicans had to fight with each other first, my aunt asked me who I thought would win. I answered Obama. I was right.

It's not that Obama has much of anything going for him. I do respect that he has won the title as a man of color, which obviously has not happened before now in the history of the U.S., but frankly, it doesn't mean anything. Racism is not abolished by putting a black man in charge, racism is abolished by it not mattering that a black man is in charge any more than if a white one was. Obama hasn't broken great racial barriers, but I suppose he has helped us make progress.

The other thing that annoys me terribly, is that everyone is so enthusiastic, especially about his mantra of change. Change? Not going to happen. If there is one thing that you can count on from the American government, it is that it moves slowly. Nothing ever happens fast, its part of the democratic process. So when Obama says he's for change, I scoff. Nothing will probably happen until next presidential term, if even then. Everyone seems so happy that he's won, as if its something grand and new. The common man will probably never see much of any change in his life. Things are just going to go back to the way that they normally have, and in maybe a few years something will happen.

The problem with the whole democratic system, as I see it, lies in two separate places. The first is that the majority is stupid, the second is that it takes awhile to get the majority to agree on anything.

The majority is never the best way to choose a leader. The majority of any country is comprised of the average, the usual. A majority is made up of all the people of average intelligence, who can only make averagely intelligent decisions about their leaders. The minorities are the greatly intelligent, who really should be choosing these leaders, but also the greatly stupid, who shouldn't. Unfortunately, as the way things go, these two minorities usually balance out, meaning that for the most part the majority is on its own. And a majority can never consistently choose good leaders.

Perhaps there is the luck of the draw, perhaps occasionally the public is granted a spark of wisdom, and they choose a great leader. But perhaps they are also sometimes struck dumb, and they choose a terrible one. It is something like a pendulum, that stays on one side or the other, but is always in the middle.

For these reasons, presidential candidates, and even presidents, are rarely effective material. They are inneffectual material, unable to overcome their boundaries and cause great good to mankind. This is my gripe with such a government, and the reason why I wish to become world dictator. I know that I would be a good leader, but I also know that no public would elect me, because I am a good leader. Sometimes things must be done that go against public opinion in order to save the public, but the public will never realize this.

In a dictatorship, one man is given ultimate authority. This can be either the worst idea, or the best, depending on the quality of the man chosen to rule. Men like I, unwavering, strong, and dedicated to good, will do the greatest good. Men like Hitler will do the greatest evil. This is why I cannot accept democracy, I am a man who only accepts the best. And democracy can never turn out the best leaders, only the ones the public likes the most.

The other gripe I have with democracy, as I have noted, is that it takes too long. Checks and balances prevent evil, but they also prevent good. The public takes a while to make decisions, and when men of good intentions actually do reach office, they find that they are restricted from doing what they wish, and must move slowly. This is another problem that would be remedied if I ever managed to be the dictator. There is no check on absolute power to one individual, he does not have to fight the masses in order to save them.

In short, I did not vote this tuesday. People are surprised when I tell them that I wanted Obama to win, but refused to vote for him. Obama is the man I expected the public to choose, the average leader who deserves to be president under this system. But that does not mean that I have to accept the system. That does not mean that I have to accept mediocrity. I didn't vote, not because I didn't have a say, but rather because my say was too big for this, was too strange and unusual. And that is the way democracy works, isn't it?

No comments: